"No! Good Lord! We would've accepted "bow-wow" or "ruff"." - Alex Trebek | "Ah, ruff. Just the way your mother likes it Trebek!" - Sean Connery, SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy!

< Quebec City, Canada - 2011 | Lisbon, Portugal - 2012 >

Monday, July 30, 2012

New York City, USA - 2011

# Posted by Joel Dixon at 30/07/2012 12:54:43
Updated by Joel Dixon at 07/05/2015 12:41:43 - Finally got around to fixing typo

The Canadian trip my sister and I were making was mainly to see two good friends get married - and to see more of Canada than I had before. I decided to add on New York to the end because my sister has never seen it before - and because they had finally started letting tourists climb the inside of the Statue of Liberty again, something I couldn't do last time.

I had to research and book our New York hotel myself (you needed an address while applying for a tourist Visa in the US) and I think I got pretty lucky. The Jane hotel was in a great part of Greenwich village and not too far away from the main parts of the city. Unfortunately, the room was pretty much as large as a double-bed. There was a bunk bed taking up one half and just enough space to shuffle around in the other half (our giant luggage didn't help much in this regard).

We did some of the typical things such as the Central Park, Times Square and the Empire State building. When we reached the bottom of the Empire State building, there was a bunch of fire engines and heaps of people looking up. Thinking we'd just avoided a catastrophe at the top of the building - it turned out that people had just called the fire department because they clouds looked a bit like smoke.

Empire on Fire
I guess I can see why people thought it was on fire

We both had a great time around Times Square - the Hershey Factory, the Lego Store and Toys 'r' Us (with their incredible Wonka Spree that should be sold in Australia). We also both fulfilled nerdy TV-show based desires (Chelsea wanted to see a hotel that was in Gossip Girl and I wanted to get my photo with the 30 Rock sign in the background). I also got to watch a show at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. A mate put me onto the UCB show which I love - it was amazing to get to the place where it all started (with pictures of the crew on the walls).

Wonka Yum
I want to go to there - again

30 Rock
Speaking of wanting to go to there

UCB Theatre
The UCB Theatre. When given my change - I was glad to see they didn't include any pennies

Our final sight in New York was the Statue of Liberty - it was everything I was expecting. Ever since Ghostbusters 2 I had wanted to climb the Statue and look out from her crown - and I finally achieved this. It's funny - there were hundreds of people on the island looking at the statue, but very few actually making the climb. I guess they didn't know it was an incredibly cheap ticket to book so long as you do it months ahead - hopefully I'm not going to miss out on doing similar things in Europe because I am under-prepared.

Then, 40+ waking hours later we were back in Melbourne, somewhat tired.

Statue Pic
It was a great trip, but my favourite part was spending heaps of quality time with my little sister

Comments